Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Snippets I've heard lately:

"You ain't got swagger in that wrinkly shirt, man."
Man to his buddy on the subway.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Don't try to do it for ten minutes. Go for one minute or even one second. One second is better than no seconds." Teacher to student. Does it matter what the teacher is teaching for this advice to apply?

I'm breaking up the image in my head that I need solitude, silence, and space to work on my writing and drawing. When I really look at my day, look at it as closely as I look at a flower when I draw it or as closely as a memory when I use it in a story, I see spaces in my day ... spaces with enough room for a piece of paper and pencil.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Where did you get your shirt?" This comment was directed at me. I wore my t-shirt with the name of my neighborhood sprawled across it while drawing a tree yesterday morning. A woman walking by noticed my shirt and asked me about it.

"I got it at the bike shop," I said.

"You go there? To the bike shop? I've lived here forever and I've never been in that shop. You really go there?

"I bought this shirt there, so yeah, I guess I go there."

"Right," she said, "I've never been inside that place. The bike shop, huh? That's the only place that sells those shirts?"

"Or that really cute coffee shop on the corner."

"Oh good!" she said, "They have a knitting group there."

I don't knit or bike much, but I got swagger in my shirt, even if it's only for one second at a time.

~*~*~*~*~*~

A series of unfinished drawings is better than no series of finished drawings.

15 comments:

  1. Aah, splendid page and splendid post. I love your work and your writing. Thanks for your stories and sharing your wisdom/insights - they really pick up my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wisdom - I too tend to wait for the right moment - then the day passes.... I shall try to follow your example. Great sketches too; all in all, another super page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sketches and a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your snippets and the sentiments therein! As always, it's a treat to visit your blog. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the snippets and love your drawings. The apples look so juicy. How are you? I hope everything is well with you. Not caught up in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must've broke that image up in your head real good because this post was a delight - so well written - put a big smile on my face! And I love the delicate drawings you used as your caption (visual snippets). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your drawings, more snippets, are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A universal captured in three unconnected vignettes beautifully brought full circle in you...and shared with lucky us. :)

    Thank you for your comment at aldenwork.
    I've a tendency to go for individual leaves too. The pen and ink techniques helped me learn how to back off visually (still a ways to go) in color pencil. Friend, successful and wonderful artist, advised me "Paint with your whole arm."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post! And really nice sketches as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this posting Resi. Making every second count was my philosophy when I was at your stage of life. I made an entire "lap quilt" by hand while sitting at the swimming pool while my kids were doing their 3X/week workouts. I could have fought traffic and gone back home, but it was much better connecting with my creative spirit for those minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Resi - I am have moved away from the concept of special drawing time in a day (although when I get it I appreciate it). A lot of it is state of mind and attitude isn't it. Every now and then I go back to Danny Gregory's list "I haven't go time to draw".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your quote at the bottom of the post. Your story was great too. The lady liked your shirt but didn't want to go in the bike shop? How silly. I am learning to do a little at a time too. There is seldom time to just sit and do a whole pic at least not when you are as slow as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the writing that goes along with your drawings in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your idea about a series of unfinished drawings being better then no series of finished drawings. I teach drawing and painting and see students all the time who need the wisdom of your quote.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto to the comments above. sorry to be unoriginal (if that's a word) I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration your drops of wisdom were. I tend to wait for the right moment and 'enough' time before creating and have realised I need to carpe deum

    ReplyDelete